I had to take a break from blogging for a few weeks, due to needing to deal with a financial emergency. I have managed to begin to recover the situation now, and I am glad to be back here to say hello to all of you.
I missed the connection with all of my lovely followers, and the gentle clicking of the laptop keys as I watch the words flow out as if they have a mind of their own.
image from PINTEREST
Some people wield words to brag and give the impression of importance in the grand story of their lives.
Others use words to manipulate and to lure unsuspecting victims to their demise.
And some writers seek to entertain, to delight and bring laughter and inspiration to their readers.
While others see writing as therapy and a way to discover and express the thoughts both hidden and exposed.
No matter what, words are a tool that are used by each person in their own unique way. We are all connected in the universe and part of a greater humanity.
Blogging is a way for us to hang onto our humanity, in a world that continues to get more technical and where people spend more time staring at screens than they do into the eyes and faces of other people.
What are the things that matter the most to all of us? What are the questions and the puzzles that we seek to solve?
Write your thoughts and feelings down. See them flow out from your fingertips and onto the laptop screen.
.image source PINTEREST
Whether you be new to blogging, or a seasoned practitioner… your voice is needed by someone who is waiting to read just the very words you are about to write.
There is a heart and a mind that is needing to hear just the very thing that you are about to type. So get blogging and keep those thoughts flowing !
People will try to force you into a box. You are supposed to fit into one of the pre-made boxes of society. Your family may also expect you to fit into a box that they have assigned to you.
You only have this life to be free and to experience all that you can and all that you want to. If you are stuck living in someone else’s box , then you cannot spread your wings and fly.
The boxes are all the same ones that other people have fit into before. It just makes you a cardboard cut-out of other people. But you are unique and unlike anyone who has come before you.
You have can blossom and follow your own dreams. Listen to your true inner voice. Every time you push your true voice down, your authentic self is rejected. This rejection lowers your self esteem and self confidence.
It is bad enough that other people minimize you, reject your ideas, and try to mold you into something you are not. You do not have to do it to yourself.
The tendency to undermine yourself, and minimize yourself is something that was programmed into you by other people, when you were young. Any guilt you feel about expressing yourself, is also programmed into you by society and / or your family.
Your ideas are valid. They do not have to be perfect.
Ideas are starting places to create your unique path.
Your dreams are there for a purpose.
Don’t let anyone tell you what you can and cannot accomplish. You can figure that out as you follow your heart, your true thoughts and your real values.
It never ceases to surprise me that I cannot correctly predict which of my posts will be more or less popular with the readers.
I can post 4 or 5 different things in the course of a day, and when I look at my WordPress stats page, the one I really expected a lot of likes on gets 1, while the one that I jotted down off the top of my head ( yes. like this one💕) ….and I thought nothing of ….will get 40 likes.
When you are blogging, it is not always the posts that you researched for, the ones that you edited 3 times, or the ones that took you the longest to write…that people enjoy tbe most.
No matter how long you have been blogging, or how good your writing is, you can never really predict how your readers will respond, or what will draw new readers.
It is part the fun of blogging …..the unpredictability….and waiting and watching to see what will happen with the words you spilled upon the page…..or painfully bled upon the page….
So intersecting. Do you find this to be true for you?
Let me know what you think, and how you feel about the surprise when something you did not think much about gets many more likes and comments than you ever would have anticipated.
Blogging is a dance between the writer and the reader. You never can be sure what will catch people’ s interest and attention. Anything that people can really relate to tends to draw comments. But you never can know if the readers of the day will relate to what you are thinking about and feeling.
Sometimes you just stream thoughts or feelings and they seem to connect right to other people’s feelings, thoughts or imagination.
The post I wrote about having a reader from Malta was so popular and I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone jumped in and wanted to tell me where they were reading my blog from.
It was quite fun as everyone shared their part of the world or part of their country. I never would have anticipated that. The comments made the post more interesting.
Sometimes as the readers get involved, and add thoughts and feelings and experiences, to the comments, it is like the writing itself is continuing without you…..like you began the post and your readers and continuing it.
In this way, if you think about it, the posts you write are never really done….until the readers make them bloom and blossom into something more. 💕
This writing is for the Flash Fiction challenge from The Secret Keeper blog. You can see the details of the challenge HERE. The five words that had to be included in the writing are | COMFORT | HEAD | SPACE | MELT | WICKED |
A decision had to be made as to whether to accept his words as the truth, or to confront him with the facts. She had always taken comfort in his honesty and openness with her.
She gazed into his eyes as he talked, but in her head she was playing out the events of the last few hours before she met him at the restaurant. As he reached over and touched her hand, she remembered how this used to make her heart melt.
The evidence said that he was lying to her right now. The female voice on the phone….the airline tickets….
She knew if she accepted what the facts pointed to that she would also have to question all of the other times he told her he was going away on business.
If he were lying to her now, while looking into her eyes, then it would mean that he was not the person he portrayed to her. It would mean he had a more sinister and wicked nature than she had ever considered.
If she were to accept the facts, then she would be forced to re-write her entire reality, for entire time they had been together.
There was no space in between his words, as his continuous talking continued. It was almost as if he was doing this intentionally. So she took another sip of her wine to dull her senses. Then, rather than going over the facts as they were, she began to mentally re-write them and the meaning behind them.
It was less painful to re-frame the facts to fit what she wanted to believe, than to have to change her belief to fit the facts.
1. Learn something new by googling a topic you are interested in or statr with Wikipedia.
2. See where this leads you. I sometimes read a Wikipedia post on one topic and become introduced to a new phrase, inventor, author, or concept during the post.
3. Check out the highlighted words and phrases in the post you are reading. They can lead you to more highlighted words and phrases. (I have come up really cool new ideas for what to write about by doing this. )
4.Watch a youtube video about the most interesting idea you have found…or start with YouTube for researching topics to begin with.
5. See if anyone else has posted about this topic and form your own opinions, choose a side, expand by adding a new perspective or write a poem or short story about it.
6. Let the things you learn about inspire new ideas. Draw from your personal experience and your imagination.
7. You can use things you learn to write a researched post, an editorial style post, a self help post or a fictional story.
8. Try a new writing genre once in a while. You may be pleasantly surprised that you can write outside of your usual nitch.
9. We tend to go with what is familiar. But it can become uninspiring. Let your brain be creative because the challenge will get tbe dopamine flowing.
10. Think outside the box. Just because no one has ever thought of something in quite the same way does not mean you cannot write it.
11. Think of the reader. What is the goal of the reader? Why do they read your blog? What else would they like you to give them?
12. Be authentic and write from tbe heart. You may think that no one is interested in your feelings, perspectives ad ideas but then again…you might be pleasantly surprised.
13. Blog about a question you have or something you are searching for answers about. Pose the qiestion to the readers. Tell them what this question means to you and why it is important to you.
14. Get ideas from the comments other bloggers leave you. Reading and replying to comments is a great way to find out what your readers are interested in and more importantly …why they are interested and what things mean to them.
15. Try a new medium or craft like photography, drawing, zen tangles. Post a picture of what you did and tell the readers you are learning this and why. Tell them why it is important to you to learn something new, why you chose this particular thing, etc.
16. Blogging is all about the individual perspective and what things mean to you. Even fiction writing has to do with the uniqie view of the person and the meaning of ideas to them.
17. Write something short. I have seen bloggers write one or two sentences that were thought provoking. Leave it up to tbe reader to add their personal meaning and fill in their own mental pictures.
18. Sometimes less is more. Do not feel obligated to write 600 words. People read books when they have more time and blog posts when tbey are short for time…or short on attention ability due to the stress of life.
19. Give people something to ponder. Give people something to work with in tbeir brains to get tbose creative juices flowing. You do not have to always ecplain things to death.
20. Try creating a meme with image chef. You only have to write one or two inspirational or thought provoking lines.